Saturday 11 May 2013

Cultural Absorbtion and Mascot Horror



The Colonel has never looked so good has he? Although I imagine there may be a few former GI's in good old Kentucky rolling in their graves.

This gem was outside the KFC in Chuo-rinkan.

Of course Japan is famous for absorbing, and at the same time completely transforming, things from other cultures. This can seen in the food, the language and the music, all  which I'll examine in another post.

This time I want to look at a terror that stalks the very heart  of Japan, the mascot.

Somewhere along the line, I suppose post war and largely with Disney to blame, the Japanese developed a diabolical obsession with mascots. Unlike Australia where the awful things crop up at the odd sporting event, here they are everywhere.

 Every town, prefecture, large company, high-school team, event and social club has a bloody mascot. I have yet to see one that is even remotely cute or attractive.



I imagine what we are trying to promote here is a televison that eats your brains and surprises rabbits.








As reported recently by Rocket24 News in Japan: Not to be outdone by neighbouring towns, the city of Okazaki in Aichi Prececture recently launched a new mascot called Ozakaemon. It looks depressed and very scary and seems to frighten children extremely succesfully.




Japan recently set a Guinness world record for the most mascots dancing at one time, 134 in all. If you are feeling brave you might like to watch the video below.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEZ35BT2LwQ








I found this fellow in the train station near my school. He's from the Red Cross and wants to make you donate blood. I think they would have more success with this other chap.



No comments:

Post a Comment